Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Stuffed Mushrooms

Sometimes it's fun not eating meat.  You get to be creative with vegetables, and last night was one of those meat-free dinner nights.

I decided to make some stuffed mushrooms served with my favorite Trader Joe's pre-packed salad, and their olive rosemary bread.

I usually make stuffed mushrooms using small white mushrooms, but I had some portabello stuffing mushrooms and adapted my usual recipe for the larger, meatier mushroom.

And this is what came out


Most mushroom recipes start with washing the mushroom, taking out the stems and chopping them up, then spooning and throwing out the remaining black gills.

After chopping up the stems, I added some chopped up marinated artichoke hearts, a couple of jalapenos, and mixed them up in a hot pan drizzled with olive oil.  While cooking up the base, I (ok, not me but my sous chef/boyfriend) oiled, salted, and peppered the mushroom caps and put them in a 375 degree oven for 5 minutes (this is not necessary for smaller mushrooms).

Once my mushroom mix looked cooked, I added some Italian breadcrumbs, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion and garlic powders, parmesan cheese, and some more Italian seasonings until it was mixed together and ready to be stuffed into the caps.  Once the caps were stuffed, they went into the oven for another 20 minutes, and voila! Stuffed mushrooms!

Here's another photo for good measure

No comments:

Post a Comment