Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Zucchini Fritters

As much as I love autumn foods, I can't help but crave light summery dishes every so often. I looked around the internet for some inspiration, and hit on a recipe for courgette fritters on BBC Good Food's website. FYI: courgette is a fancy French word for zucchini. It's just like what aubergine is to eggplant.

I completely changed the original recipe to suit my tastes. My husband was rather impressed with this recipe, and it paired well with a spinach and tomato salad. Yet another great meatless weeknight meal. I don't think you need any sauce with this, but sour cream is always an option.

I will definitely be making this again when I have an extra zucchini lying around. This serves two and makes 6 fritters.



Zucchini Fritters

Ingredients:

1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/8 cup egg beater or 1/2 egg beaten
1/3 cup low fat milk
1 ounce sharp shredded cheddar
1 small bunch of chopped chives
1 zucchini, grated
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon olive oil

Method:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Step 2: Mix flour, spices, salt, eggs and milk until the batter is smooth
Step 3: Stir in cheese and chives and set aside
Step 4: Place non-stick pan on high heat and cook zucchini for 4 minutes, then drain with paper towels
Step 5: Stir zucchini into batter
Step 6: Oil non-stick pan, reducing heat to medium high. Drop spoon fulls of batter onto pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until 6 fritters have been made. Place each fritter on a baking sheet
Step 7: Bake fritters for 8 minutes in oven

No comments:

Post a Comment