Monday, September 3, 2012

Sour Cream and Almond Poppy Seed Loaf

One of the easier things to bake is a quick bread. I blogged a recipe for banana bread before, but this time I decided to go back to Marlene Koch's class Splenda baking book.  Since my husband has suddenly developed an intolerance to chocolate, I decided to bake an almond loaf.

I liked this recipe, but it seems my husband liked it more. To its credit, it did have the magic ingredient--sour cream, which always moistens quick breads. I suppose I like my almond loaf to have a a bit of almond paste and slivered almonds on top.  I suggest adding a bit more Splenda if you like things a bit sweeter. The original recipe did not include enough to make it a sweet enough bread.



Sour Cream Almond Poppy Seed Loaf

Ingredients:

1/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup Splenda
1 large egg and 2 egg whites
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup light sour cream
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda

Method:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat a loaf pan with cooking spray
Step 2: Cream margarine and Spenda, then add in egg and egg whites
Step 3: Slowing mixer down to a lower speed, add in applesauce, sour cream, poppy seeds, lemon zest, and extracts.
Step 4: Sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda, then mix into wet mixture until just incorporated.
Step 5: Add mix to pan and bake for 45 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment