Monday, August 27, 2012

Shrimp Tamale Casserole

I'm a huge fan of Mexican food, but eating it outside can be quite fattening. I've taken to the internet to find the best healthy versions of my favorite dishes.  Fortunately, Eating Well has done a good job of posting great light alternatives, which I of course change to my preferences.

This time I decided to take a chance on tamales. I was worried my husband wouldn't eat them however, as he often finds them too dry. Luckily, he LOVED this particular dish, and was even impressed with the store bought mole sauce I bought at Target. Personally, I would skip the mole sauce and use a salsa verde instead.

Shrimp Tamale Casserole



Ingredients:
2 cups masa
3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups vegetable broth with a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and cayenne added to it
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 pound raw shrimp chopped and seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin powder, cayenne and paprika
Salsa or mole for topping

Method:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees and boil water in a kettle
Step 2: Coat 8 inch square pan with cooking spray
Step 3: Whisk masa, oregano, thyme, baking powder, salt and black pepper in a bowl.
Step 4: Add 2 cups of broth and mix until just mixed together.
Step 5: Add oil and butter and mix on medium high for 4 minutes
Step 6: Spread half of batter in pan and top with shrimp evenly, then add remaining batter
Step 7: Add pan to a larger pan and place in oven, then add hot water from kettle to bigger pan until it comes up half way to the casserole pan
Step 8: Cover both pans in one large piece of foil
Step 9: Bake for 45 minutes and take out of oven. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Top with sauce of choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment