Sunday, July 11, 2010

No-Bake Cookies

I'm sure everyone's heard of or tried some version of a no-bake cookie.  I've tried a chocolate one, and was left rather unimpressed. Why not just spend the extra 20 minutes baking a cookie?  Well, I changed my mind once I spotted a recipe in my "Quick-Fix Vegetarian" cook book.  I changed the recipe completely, but what I got was something relatively healthy with the use of everything I already had at home.  It can be changed in so many ways. This is great if you have kids, and are short on time.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup nut butter (peanut or almond are the most obvious choices, and the natural stuff is great)
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar (Add or subtract amounts based on preference)
3 tbsp. water
1 1/2 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used a mix of hibiscus flowers and white raisins, but I think you can sub in anything)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (replace with your favorite nut)

Method:

Step 1: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Step 2: Combine nut butter, sugar, water, and vanilla until well mixed
Step 3: Add the oatmeal, cranberries, and almonds until well mixed
Step 4: Drop spoon fulls or make balls of the dough and flatten onto baking sheet
Step 5: Refrigerate for at least an hour, and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment