Friday, September 14, 2012

No Sugar Added Chocolate Loaf

I love chocolate, which should be obvious at this point. Since I had so much Splenda and unsweetened applesauce left over, I decided to figure out another quick bread recipe to try.  This time, I decided to try a chocolate bread. As nice as the almond poppy seed loaf turned out, it did have a strong Splenda/battery taste to it.  I figured cocoa would mask that taste.

As I live near a high end specialty shop, I opted to buy the best dutch process cocoa I could afford. This may have made the loaf taste a bit better.  The key to making this recipe is not overmixing.  This comes out to about 12 servings and 150 calories per serving.

If you don't mind the taste of Splenda, this is a great recipe to try. However, for those who do not like artificial sweeteners much, the lemon recipes I posted --chiffon pie and lemon blueberry loaf, hardly tasted of Splenda. Try those instead.

No Sugar Added Chocolate Loaf

Ingredients:

1/4 cup softened margarine
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup splenda
1 large egg
2 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa
3/4 cup fat-free yogurt

Method:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 5 loaf pan
Step 2: Cream margarine and brown sugar, then beat in splenda and eggs
Step 3: On low speed blend in applesauce and vanilla
Step 4: In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder and baking powder
Step 5: Add half of yogurt and flour mix to wet mixture, and stir with a large spoon, repeat again until both flour mix and wet mix are JUST blended together.
Step 6: Pour batter in pan and bake for 55 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment