Monday, August 20, 2012

Lightened Up Spinach and Almond Pesto

I often forget how easy it is to make a pesto sauce at home. I often find myself spending a ridiculous sum on a tiny jar of oil laden pesto, only to feel guilty I consumed so many calories on a basil and oil goo. As I was looking up a general basil pesto recipe, I thought, why not make a pesto with spinach and almonds, and somehow omit the oil?

Fortunately, my risk was successful, and I can now eat pesto every evening and somehow get my daily nutritonal needs met.

Spinach/Almond Pesto Sauce

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups baby spinach leaves
3/4 cup basil leaves
1/2 cup toasted almonds (toast in a 450 degree oven for 5 minutes)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 cloves peeled garlic, roughly chopped
1/4 cup vegetable broth/stock
Juice of half of a lemon
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
olive oil (optional)

Method:

Step 1: Puree spinach, basil, almonds, parmesan, garlic, broth and lemon juice in a food processor processor until it forms a paste
Step 2: Add salt and pepper to taste
Step 3: Add olive oil or more broth until desired consistency is reached

No comments:

Post a Comment