Monday, October 3, 2011

Brussels Sprouts with Cashews and Orange Butter

Brussels sprouts get a bad rap, and I'm not sure why.  I was so turned off by negative portrayals of the vegetable on television, that I never bothered to taste them until college.  Once I tried them, I couldn't figure out why people hated them. Granted, I don't eat them often since it's not the first vegetable people think of cooking, I do like them, especially in the fall.

I recently had a successful dinner party, and these brussels sprouts were a hit. They take very little time and effort to make, but turn out fantastically delicious. This recipe is perfect for 8-10 people



Brussels Sprouts with Cashews and Orange Butter


Ingredients:

4 tbsp. softened butter
1.5 lbs. brussels sprouts (halve the large ones)
3 ounces toasted cashews, chopped into pieces
8 ounces frozen peas
1 small orange (zest the peel and keep it separate)
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Step 1: Boil Salted Water in a Pot
Step 2: While boiling water, mix orange zest, butter and cashews together in a bowl
Step 3: Boil sprouts in salted water for 5 minutes, with the pot covered
Step 4: Add peas to boiling water and boil for 2 minutes
Step 5: Drain water from vegetables and add orange butter to sprouts and mix together, then squeeze orange into vegetables and mix together
Step 6: Season with salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment