Sunday, September 11, 2011

Crispy Potato Roast

Unless you have a severe fear of carbohydrates (which I should have), you can't hate a warm potato roast.  I'm going to host an all vegetarian dinner party soon, and I thought a gorgeous potato side dish would be the perfect accompaniment to any vegetarian main dish.  So I adapted a Martha Stewart recipe, and it turned out amazingly simple, yet delicious. I highly recommend this recipe, but I don't think it is worth it without a mandolin. The mandolin made it a snap, whereas trying to make thinly sliced potatoes with just me and a knife would be a joke. 

I got the following photo from Martha's site, and my smaller version pretty much looked exactly like the photo from the site.  It will impress anyone!



Crispy Potato Roast

Serves 6

Ingredients:

4 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled
3 tbsp. olive oil
3 tbsp. butter
4 shallots, thinly sliced (I used the mandolin too)
8 sprigs thyme
1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
2 pinches dried red pepper flakes
coarse salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Step 2: Spray a deep dish 10 inch pan with pam
Step 3: Slice potatoes with mandolin
Step 4: Melt butter and oil together, and add red pepper flakes to the mix
Step 5: Pour a tablespoon of the butter mix in the bottom of the dish and add a dash of salt
Step 6: Place potatoes vertically together, like an accordion in the pan
Step 7: Shove shallots in between potato slices
Step 8: Add remaining butter mixture and salt and pepper to the top of the potatoes
Step 9: Bake covered in foil for 75 minutes
Step 10: Uncover potatoes and add all herbs on top and bake for another 35 minutes until just crisped

No comments:

Post a Comment