Thursday, August 25, 2011

Butternut Squash Pizza With Caramelized Onions And Blue Cheese

Pizza may be my favorite food of all time.  As a child, my eyes widened at the sight of a simple cheese pizza from Chuck E Cheese. But thankfully, as I've grown older my palette has become a bit more sophisticated.  So I decided to combine my favorite things into pizza form, and thanks to the help of my trusty assistant/fiance, I made a gourmet pizza rather effortlessly.



Butternut Squash Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese


Ingredients:

1 blob of pizza dough (I just bought a bag of Trader Joe's ready made dough)
12 ounces of cubed butternut squash (Again, Trader Joe's makes this easy)
3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese (I used low-fat, and it still turned out well)
1 ounce crumbled blue cheese
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 sprigs of thyme
5 sage leaves
1 tsp. of chopped oregano
1 onion, sliced
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
salt, pepper and oil as needed

Method:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 450 degrees and let pizza dough rest out on the counter
Step 2: Place sliced onions in a slightly oiled pan on medium low heat and season with salt and pepper and add in thyme. Let cook until caramel in color and stir occasionally, add garlic for the last 5 minutes, since this process takes about 30 minutes
Step 3: While the onions are cooking, heat the squash in the microwave for 10 minutes, cutting a hole in the bag
Step 4: Take the squash out, and mash up, adding the nutmeg in
Step 5: Roll or toss the dough into a manageable shape (flour and oil may be needed), and place on a cookie sheet or pizza stone
Step 6: Take the thyme springs out of onions, and place onions on dough, allowing a border for a crust
Step 7: Spread the butternut squash onto the onions, and top with both cheeses, sage, oregano and fresh black pepper
Step 8: Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes depending on your preference. Take out and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment