Monday, August 2, 2010

Honey Wasabi Shrimp Skewers

We're well into BBQ season, and the latest recipe reflects that.  Say all the horrible things you want about Rachael Ray, but her magazine is chock-full of great recipes.  So here it is, a new shrimp recipe.

Honey Wasabi Shrimp Skewers

Ingredients for 8 servings:
2 lbs. thawed shrimp deveined and peeled, tail on
1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp. wasabi powder
1 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. freshly toasted sesame seeds (buy them for cheap at Asian markets, and heat them up in a pan on high heat, until they start popping up)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes prior to putting shrimp on skewers)

Method:
Step 1:  Mix honey, wasabi and salt until blended
Step 2: Whisk in vegetable oil until blended (you may need to add a splash of vinegar)
Step 3: Marinate shrimp in the mixture, and let it set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes
Step 4: Skewer shrimp (about 4-6 per skewer)
Step 5: Heat grill to medium, and lightly grease
Step 6: Grill skewers 2.5 minutes per side (flip only once)
Step 7: Sprinkle with sesame seeds

3 comments:

  1. You have to make the wasabi powder (I use Namida 100% True wasabi powder) into a paste before using it otherwise you don't get the flavour you expect. I get my wasabi from www.wasabi.co.nz by airmail. Most wasabi sold in stores do not contain true wasabi at all, but a mixture of coloured horseradish and mustard. Have a look at www.wasabireviews.com to see what is really in so called wasabi. BTW this recipe is lovely cold, tossed in a salad. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, thanks. Before I made this, I checked the reviews on a message board, and a few people wrote that it should be added as a powder. I will try it as a paste next time. I got the real stuff from a Japanese friend. I will definitely eat it in a salad next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were excellent. I may have to give this a try on my own.

    ReplyDelete