Monday, June 7, 2010

Recipe Review: Meyer Lemon Olive Oil Rosemary Muffins

If you're anything like me, you can sit in front of the television for hours watching Food Network. One of the newer shows I watch when I want to zone out or get inspired is "Private Chefs of Beverly Hills."  Sometimes I'm rather disappointed in how simple, or too exotic some of the meals they prepare are, but sometimes I find a dish I really like.  One of my favorite segments involved cooking for an organic farmer.  If I were rich, I'd be exclusively organic, but that's not possible. However, it doesn't stop me from occasionally trying new recipes.

I followed this recipe sans candied pansies (who has time for candying pansies?!?!)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/meyer-lemon-olive-oil-rosemary-muffins-with-candied-pansies-recipe/index.html

Since I'm such a fruit expert, I didn't realize that meyer lemons only grow during the winter.  I frantically googled meyer lemons in the grocery store, and learned they are a hybrid of mandarin oranges and lemons.  I decided to do the next best thing, and use half a mandarin orange, and half a lemon.

Here's the result:

Nothing fancy looking, but they definitely got mixed reviews. Boyfriend and I did not enjoy the use of whole wheat pastry flour, but mom and dad liked the less sugar and whole wheat flour.  I guess whole wheat flour in baked goods is a personal preference.  Until then, I'll continue to try baking with all the whole wheat pastry flour I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment