Monday, December 21, 2009

The Jam Experiment

My mother recently suggested I make jam, and I immediately hopped on that.  After a bit of research, I learn jam is just fruit, sugar, and pectin.  Quite boring if you ask me, and it also requires new sterile jars.  Wanting to save money, I resorted to the Indian method of making jam.

My mother had a box of over-ripe over-fiberous mangoes, so I asked her if I could rid them for her, and got to work.  Using the pulp of a total of 2 mangoes since they were so bad, I ended up with a tiny container of jam that was a real winner.

I didn't get good photos of the jam, since it really isn't kept well, but here's the recipe, and it really is just a base.

Mango Cardamom jam:

pulp of two mangoes without pits
1 cup of sugar
4 cardomom pods
the juice of one small lemon

I put the pulp over medium heat, occasionally stirring it until the water from the mangoes evaporated.  This took about 10 minutes.

Next, I added the lemon juice. This was my natural replacement for fruit pectin.  I need something in the jam so that the sugar won't crystallize.  I then added the sugar, and stirred this over medium low heat for about 20 minutes, then added the crushed up cardomom, without the skin.

The jam was gone in 2 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment